Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Year One

My Dearest Gavin ("Didi"/ "Little Red-Head"/ "Trouble"),

I have held back tears numerous times now before my fingers even touched the keyboard. I am not sure I will find the time, or more importantly the words, to express how you have transformed my life this past year. There is no denying that with your birth came a new phase of my life. Your presence instills a calm in me like I have never experienced. Your face, whether smiling and bright or sad and snotty, gives me instantaneous perspective.  You have been the catalyst for trying new and different things, whether on a grand scale or small -   they are new and different nonetheless.  Though you be only one, your first year has forever changed my perspective on life, my values, my goals, my balance........simply put, me.

So, with that, I will keep it short. I am blessed to be your momma.

Love,
Your One and Only Momma

************************************

I hope someday when you have children of your own, you and Ayden will look back at these posts and see yourself in your own beautiful children.  Here are some of things you do today that I never want to forget...

- The way you say 'DA!", in so many different tones and inflections that tells us preciously how you feel, what you want....and certainly what you don't want.

- While Ayden was a easy going calm child, you too are very easy going, but you certainly have your fiery, red-head side that is so cute [for now :)] and bossy at times.

- Boy can you eat. I mean seriously. You have only TWO teeth!! Yet, I have not placed a thing in front of you (or you haven't gotten your hands on anything) that you haven't devoured and enjoyed.  To name a few...a slice of pizza, black olives, chicken nuggets, apples, avocado, cheese, green beans....how you chew it is beyond me, but you have perfected the art of two-teeth eating.  As Mimi once said, "he must have really sharp gums".

- The way you yell for Ayden. You always have your ears and eyes out for your big brother. You adore him and everything he does. You meticulously watch his every move and then try and repeat it. Just a few days ago you were watching Daddy and Ayden horseplay and I could see your yearning to be a part. So, I watched as you promptly crawled yourself over there and climbed on daddy too, throwing your head back on his chest and trying to play as Ayden was.  It was adorable....and scary (for daddy's sake) to think that soon both you and Ayden will be coordinated and strong enough to really wrestle daddy.....good luck hon.

- You are so similar and yet so different from your brother. While Ayden was linguistically and emotionally inclined. It is clear that your mind works differently. You are very mechanical. You watch how things work, think about it for a few, then go right to the root of its operation. It is not the ball rolling down the track that interests you, it is how the ball makes the wheel turn, or the like.

- The comedy hour (read 5min) you put on for me just before you peacefully lay your head down on my chest and slip into your nightly slumber.  Your sense of humor just kills me. And the way you can read me even when it is pitch dark. But to end each day with the weight (and I mean weight!) of your little red head again my chest as we slowly rock and sing.......the worries of my day melt off, we are frozen in time and untouchable.


0 comments:

Post a Comment