Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Love and Support (Part 2)

The orange bracelet was just the beginning....

About a month ago, Candice had asked that I keep a specific morning open to hang out with her before I left for the race. So, two weeks before the big day was our date. After a nice swim I ran home and got ready to have some girl time. I had received a text from Candice saying I only needed socks and comfy shoes. I had no idea what that meant or what to expect.

Around 10am Candice showed up at my door ready to go. I hopped in the car to find an envelop on the seat with my name on it. So, I opened it up. Inside was a flyer for the new rock-climbing facility nearby. Candice explained that the was the adventure we were going on. I have to admit I had mixed emotions. First, I was excited for the adventure and so grateful to have such a dear friend who would go through the trouble to plan this and arrange for J to cover the kids. Second, I was a little nervous about whether rock-climbing during my taper was really the best idea. Regardless, there was no doubt I was going to do what ever she was gracious enough to plan for us!

Candice then explained that we had to go by Karen's parent's house to grab Karen's rock-climbing gear. I thought this was a little bizarre because my past experience had always been that we could rent gear at the facility, but...hey, you don't question when someone plans a surprise for you.

So, we pulled up to the house and hopped out. As they opened the door I saw Shyla and Harper playing on the floor and turned to Candice and said quietly, "wait, what is going on here...", then came the "SURPRISE!" shouted in unison. I turned the corner and there was everyone....with signs and smiles and tons of food (most of it Paleo too!!).  The surprise party was a send-off for Karen and I with love and support from our T-Town friends and family. It was awesome. I have to admit I was bummed not to be there for Karen's surprise, but she got there first, so they surprised her and then she was part of my surprise shouting crew. It was awesome (did I already say that?). I was speechless and crying. I know Hillary got it on tape (I'm sure it is memorable ha-ha), but I haven't seen it yet. I will throw the video up in a follow-up post when I receive it.

Rather than an afternoon rock-climbing (which any other weekend would have been super awesome, I swear Candice =)), I spent the afternoon swimming, playing, eating, laughing and hanging out with my friends, my family (they joined too) and their kids. It was in one word - Perfect.

It was so sweet. Karen and I were both beyond appreciative and grateful. I've said it before and I'll say it again....our group of friends is priceless.

Thank you all. A million times over, thank you. You have made me feel loved and supported like I never thought possible. You have all shared words of wisdom and encouragement when I needed a boost and continue to inspire me through your daily lives, commitment to your families, continued accomplishments, and never-waivering friendship.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I swear, I really do want to go rock climbing some time and I'm glad you went along with it! It was a special day for sure and I'm glad it helped you get in a good place for the big day!!! Love you!

Post a Comment