Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving day

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone. I'm not sure where the year has gone. 

Thanksgiving for me has become a little bitter sweet. It used to be one of, if not the, favorite holidays. I can remember many many Thanksgiving celebrations with oodles of family (and usually some friends) gathered around, so much talking and laughter you couldn't hear yourself think, kids (me included) running around, always underfoot, always causing mischief and always laughing. More delicious food than one could imagine, but most of all an overwhelming feeling of love and acceptance.

Whether these feeling were based in reality or not....it doesn't really matter. The fact is I felt that way, in my soul.

Then, life happened. Families split up, people moved and people passed on. My childhood Thanksgiving bubble burst. I felt this impact hardest the past few years. But this year I felt a glimmer of what used to be and that warmed my soul. I want my kids to have the same fond holiday memories I do and feel myself struggling between what I want things to be and what they are, but knowing all the while, that to be wonderful doesn't have to mean to be the same.

This year our day began with some family park time. The boys ran around giggling and full of joy. After a good nap, the family began to arrive and the turkey festivities began. My mom cooked a wonderful meal, Tata brought some delicious additions and Clark brought way too many pies :). We fed ourselves (more than adequately), shared stories and laughs, and mostly tried to hear each other over the constant noise of my two delighted little boys. [A special thanks to everyone for their patience with the noise level. I recognize that for people who do not have little ones around everyday, it can be quite a culture shock!]

Anyway, I'm turning a new leaf. This holiday season sparked my old holiday excitement; it is amazing to experience the holiday spirit through the eyes of my three year old!





Weird for me to think that soon Little Red will be a big brother....

So, what am I thankful for this Thanksgiving?? There just isn't enough time before the kids get up, so I'll leave you with this....

I am thankful, endlessly thankful, for the many blessings and good fortunes that overflow my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment