Monday, January 24, 2011

A Little Honest, Hormonal Gushing

A son, a brother, a friend, a husband and a father.  My J does it all.  As we get closer and closer to adding another little boy to our family, I find myself reflecting more and more on my husband.  He is simply extraordinarily. This is not to say we don't have our disagreements or that he doesn't do some of the 'typical men' things, which I'm always helpfully quick to point out [I swear one day he will actually be able to find something because the blinder that sits 'right in front of his nose' will disappear ;) - a girl can hope can't see], but in the end, he stands in a playing field all his own.

As a son and a brother, I am only a spectator to his interactions, but can see how he treasures his parents and sister and how much he wants them to be a part of Ayden's life whether near or far (thank goodness for video chats!).  He expresses to me how proud he is of his sister and how he cherishes his ever-growing and maturing relationship with her.

But as a husband and a father - theses are things I experience first hand.  The way he has stepped up in all facets of our life to make things just a little bit easier on me as we come down the homestretch.  The sacrifices he has made to accommodate our ever changing lives. The patience he has with his large, outspoken, hormonal, (sometimes!) irrational, opinionated (but always right), very pregnant wife. The glimpses of vulnerability he lets me see.  The support he has given me to venture off to a new career at a time when it feels our lives couldn't get much more complicated.  These actions are just the surface of the deeply kind hearted, patient, loving man I married.  In the ten years (yes, I am rounding J) we have been together, the growth and change he has inspired and then supported in me is immense.  We have grown beyond belief in our relationship and as individuals.  But nothing has changed or impacted us more than becoming parents.  To watch us become 'mommy' and 'daddy' on top of all the other roles we play has been an amazing journey and one that has only just begun.  I feel I have changed, matured, and blossomed through the process, but know for sure Jeremy has as I get to see it, experience it and live it day in and day out.  J is not just a 'dad', he is truly a 'father' to Ayden.  He is patient with him, he listens to him, he talks to him, he empathizes with him, he is crafty and creative with him, and most of all he is honest and natural with him.  When J is with Ayden I see the truest form of J I know.  Even better, I see the light - that sparkle- in Ayden's eyes when he spots his 'Daddy', and the return of that sparkle, that pride, in J's eyes when he sees Ayden.

There are days I feel old and settled -  I cannot believe we have been married for over 5 years, together for almost 10, and are almost a family of 4....but there are other days where I feel we are still just figuring this whole thing called 'life' out - it is during these days I feel most comforted because I think in the end, life should never and will never be old and settled.  Each day brings with it new challenges, adventures and experiences and in order to partake, we must be open to them -  it is the willingness to adapt, to change, to compromise, to be vulnerable, to be aware of your limits - what's in your control and what's not - that will keep us feeling young and invigorated for decades to come.

So, while our lives continue to press forward at Mach speed with hairpin turns, bumpy roads and at times poor visibility, I can say there is no one else I'd rather have by my side [in the passenger seat of course since we know I'd be driving ;)] than my husband, Jeremy.

Jeremy - I love you with all my heart.  This is a small tribute you and all that you do for our family.

And may it serve as a reminder you can point me to when we are in the thick of the next chapter of our lives (to begin in 6 days no less!) of the fact that I really do love you despite you not having to be up every two hours to feed the baby or aching with glued stomach muscles and bursting boobs =)

In the words of our (in my humble opinion) insanely adorable, smart, adorable, talented, adorable, smart little man......"LET'S DO IT!"

1 comments:

Dinnyin said...

Beautiful, my JJ deserves all the accolades and more. Little disappointed that his Uncle-ness and his bro-lawness didn't make the cut, but given your 'situation' I'll let it slide.

P.S.

hope "next cheater of your lives" is a typo and doesn't appear in 6 days.


Go Rileys! Make me a good nephew #2 this week!

Post a Comment