Thursday, May 3, 2012

Proud

The themes of my life (and thus my blog) are no surprise: Family, Friends, Health and Fitness. What I get most excited about is when they overlap....which I am blessed to happen quite often.

Recently, I wrote a post with a video of a young man who took control of his life and began running as his path to health and fitness. This video sparked an email thread among some family members that makes me so proud to be a part of this family. I won't drag you though all the details, but there are some accomplishments that I just have to highlight [hopefully they are OK with this :) - if not, I'm posting now and asking for forgiveness later].

My brother and sister-in-law (Mike and Dash), whom most of you know, recently marked the one year anniversary of their 'life style change'. Over a year ago, they made the decision to take control of their health and fitness by altering their nutrition and exercise routine. I don't think either would disagree with the statement that they weren't and never had been the most physically active people. Let me tell you how, in just a single year, they have squashed that statement. 

I could give you stats (which might play into that need for forgiveness), but what I think is more powerful are my simple observations. There are the obvious physical changes that are just shocking each and every time I see them, and then the more subtle mental changes. I have known them a long time (duh) and I have never....ever.....seen either as positive, patient, and motivated. Whether they know it or not, the change is tangible. I know they are under a LOT of day-to-day stress, but despite that, I see and feel positive energy from them and it is no secret that simply a positive attitude can improve your health and wellness, as well as, how those around you perceive you and interact with you. 

I can't close my post on them without mentioning a few exciting and inspiring physical accomplishments they have made recently. Dasha now avidly participates in spin and swim and has begun running [not to get ahead ourselves....to me this sounds like there should be a sprint tri in her future.....just saying]!! Mike has also begun running!! Yes..... my brother.....going outside....tying up his Brooks.....throwing on his i-pod....and takin' on the road (and some crazy good hills!). They have set a goal for a September race - which coincides with their TENTH ANNIVERSARY!!!! - and what a way to celebrate!! If you can't read the pride between the lines here....let me put it in black and white - I am SO SO SO PROUD of them. What an awesome tale in taking control of their lives and making conscious (not always easy) decisions to better their health and fitness. Whether for themselves or their kids, they have made 21`a change that positively impacts their lives on a daily basis. It may be heard for them to see the drastic change as they are immersed in their daily lives, but it is basically a bright neon blinking sign to those of us around them =)

It gets my heart pounding just writing about it!!!

Part of this transformation has been their diet. I say that word timidly, because it is not that they are on a diet, it is that they made a lifestyle change with regard to their nutrition and food that plays a HUGE role in their transformation. They eat a largely Paleo diet. [If you don't know what this is, look it up :)]

Since then a number of other family members have also 'gone Paleo' and with great success. Again, it is not so much a 'diet' [oooh that word just gives me chills] as it is a lifestyle change. I hope to go into this more in a future post, so I'll leave it at this.

Way to go Mike and Dash! I Loooooooooooove hearing about your daily success. It (selfishly and admittedly) is one of my 'fuels' to get me through a training when I need it.

My love for you and my adorable niece and nephew is endless.

1 comments:

Dasha said...

I'm still not patient =)
(and about 10 years away from doing an IRON MAN - at least!), but looking forward to having an Iron Woman as a sister-in-law =)

Thanks Tess,
~D

Post a Comment