Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Gut Wrenching!

Where to start?

I'm headed home after a typical long and tiring day at work. I'm running late to pick up Ayden, gone is the hope of getting him early today, and I'm just about to turn out of the plant site when the phone rings. I look down to see it is Olga, our nanny. She doesn't call often during the day so I think my heart naturally skips a tiny tiny tiny beat every time she does. I answer in my usual cheery way only to be greeted by a very distraught and crying Olga whose only audible words are, 'I'm so sorry Tessa'.

** pause **

I'm sure many of you have had a (mommy or daddy) moment like this. The 30 seconds that lasts an eternity. The 30 seconds where you forget to breath, you lose touch with reality, every moment of your child's life and future goes whizzing before your eyes. Your stomach tightens up so severely you could have sworn it flipped inside out, traveled at lightening speed towards your head, grabbed every organ in sight and lodged itself in your throat.

** and... we're back... **

Amazingly enough, on the inside the previously described events were occurring, but on the outside and in my voice, I was quite calm. I smoothly asked Olga what happened; the back of my mind screaming...'talk faster...hurry....get it out!!!' After what seemed a decade, Olga is able to tell me that she and the kids were in a car accident. They are all OK, but the car is pretty bad.

Phew...

I ask her where they are, tell her to calm down, everyone is OK and that is all that matters, and I'll be there soon.

Unfortunately, 'soon' meant 30min in traffic, but thankfully my Uncle David was quickly on the scene (the other three kids were his...as was the car).  I arrived to a very calm car load of unharmed children (adorable Mac eager to give me the play-by-play of Ayden's reaction), a rattled Olga, my Uncle talking with the Police, and two smashed cars.

Ayden did suffer a little bruise and scrape from the belt along his neck, but beyond the initial frightened tears (all according to my eyewitness Miss Mac Montijo) he was in great spirits.

After some discussions, Ayden and I went home (with a quick stop to wish Grandmere a Happy Birthday - to be discussed in next post). We had a wonderful evening together, just the two of us, and he is now sound asleep dreaming of sugar plum fairies...or whatever it is that little boys dream about =)

All is well that ends well.

Not to get too sappy and deep on you, but you have to admit little trials like this always make you think. They make you rattle in your head the old saying about how quickly your life can change. They ground you to what is important. They remind you the importance of making sure those you love know it each and every day. As a parent, I know I will not be able to protect Ayden from all the world might throw at him, (I will certainly guide and teach and prepare as much as possible) but I do know I can and will always be there if and when it hits. That's my job. That's what I signed up for when I decided to bring this amazing little boy into this huge unpredictable world.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ugggh...so sorry I missed your call - so wasn't there when you needed me to be. I'm glad everyone is okay and that he's safely in bed, but I can't even imagine how you felt/feel. Love you!

Dinnyin said...

what a great birthday surprise

glad my nephew's ok, watch over that little man

Alli Krewson said...

a phone call that starts like that is one of my very very worst nightmares. glad your heart didn't stop and glad everyone is okay! give ayden a hug for us

Kendra Forgacs said...

Ugghh, I am so sorry that happened and so impressed with how you handled it. I'm so glad to hear that everyone is alright!

Post a Comment