Monday, March 8, 2010

I've been RAGNARed

No, it's not a  real word,  but give it a few years and you never know!

Now close your eyes and imagine this...

You are in BFE Arizona. It is cold and windy. It is 6am and the sun is just peering over the horizon. You are packed into a van with 5 of your closest friends, pillows, clothes to last three weeks, food and drink to feed an army, more running gear than Fleet Feet, and some kick ass music (thanks KC!). Beside you sits a van ('identical' - only in far better condition with no threat that the windows and doors might fall out when it goes over 60 -  to yours) with another 6 of your teammates. Before you stands a 205 mile course that will take you from dirt roads to trails to the highway and even a few water crossings (all in Karen's legs - someone must have known who the true die hard was). Running is the name of game. The anticipation is building. What did we sign up for??? What is this really going to feel like?? Training....did we do that?? No turning back now, the team is counting on you and the time is now.

This would be Team French Toast Mafia before being RAGNARed.  Look at those innocent faces. So ignorant to what is to come!

In all seriousness, I'm only kidding, (kind of). What we didn't know was that what was about to start was an experience, memories and friendships to last a lifetime. It was truly AWESOME. And I know each and every one of my amazing teammates would agree. RAGNAR marked the first of what I hope to be tons of races with the FTM.


Here we have Brian kicking us off. [I think we may have been winning ;)] The race got off to a late start thanks to Stan (not a FTM member) who was 'meditating' in the port-a-potty.  Lets just say there was a lot of meditating or severe lack there of over the next 36 hours. Again....strengthening the bond....at least that's what the boys ensured us!

I've dreamt about the race every night since we finished Saturday evening. I can honestly say it was one of the coolest experiences I have had in my short life. The 36 hours was filled with excitement, anxiety, sleep dep, cow bells, tears, cheering, pride, sleep dep, cow bells, curious smells, determination, did I mention sleep dep and cow bells?? oh and yes....a lot of running!

I had originally thought I would drag you though every detail of my (our) experience, but I fear that my inadequate ability to express in prose the AWESOMENESS of it would simply cheapen it and perhaps bore you to death. And... well.... lets be honest with ourselves, you tune in to hear about the one, the only, the little man Ayden. But please, if you would like to hear the full story, give me a ring - I have plenty to share and trust me, by the end of the conversation you will either be questioning my sanity, or have your race fee in for a RAGNAR coming to a town near you!!

So before your head hits the table (if it hasn't already). I want to give a quick shout out to my Mafia family. You guys are the best and I am so proud of each and every one of you - we did it!! Onward to the next challenge.

Below are some pics from the adventure!! As the pictures progress through the event you will see precisely what the term 'RAGNARed' means.  Enjoy =)
 The Rubys joined us. Ask Alexia just how much studying she got done.  And yes...she brought those boots on the van =) I'd also like to add that the Rubys were very deceptive about all their bags. When we showed up, they were on the corner with two small bags. Once the van stopped, both were running inside to get the rest of their luggage - a perfectly matched outfit for each day ;) and even some to spare!!
Andy trying to figure out the birthday of the eegee machine. I hear birthday guessing is Andy's specialty ;)

Jeremy and Alexia demonstrating the the FTM mantra...

Waffles Beware!


We picked the peeeeerfect spot to stop and cheer Andy on...YUCK!
FTM showing their spirit!!
The little man made an appearance at the end (with Gram-E in tow) to cheer mommy and daddy on.  It was a LOT of CHEERING....then promptly....nap time! This is exactly how we all felt.

What a BLAST!!

1 comments:

The Yager Family said...

Yea! It was SO fun! I can't wait to do more events together too!!!

Post a Comment